Monday, August 27, 2018

An Open Letter to My Future Husband

Dear Future Husband,

When the time comes that you decide you're ready to propose, please, please, please DO NOT get me an engagement ring. Why? Because I see them as a sign of ownership, a sign of possession. As the man I love, I hope you know that I desire to live our lives together in partnership, as equals. Engagement rings just do not reflect that equality for me. Please do not waste your money on an engagement ring.

To start our married lives together, I would love for our wedding to be OUR wedding. Meaning that we start off our wonderful journey through life as the partners in love that we are by having things we both like at our wedding. We're choosing to blend our lives together, so we can certainly blend our styles and preferences in the ceremony and reception.

As a show of equality, respect, and admiration in our partnership of love, I'd like to ensure that the person presiding over our ceremony does not include the term "obey" in our vows, and I'd like to be pronounced husband and wife because we are both married.

Once we're married, please, please, please never use the phrase, "Happy wife, happy life." That will not make me happy. That phrase says to me that the relationship is totally one sided, that the wife is some sort of dictator, and the husband is not allowed to think or feel or be anything other than what the wife approves of. No. Not me. I do not wish to be a dictator. Our marriage is an equal partnership. I've got your back, and you've got mine.

Your future wife (aka your future partner in love),
Jennie <3




1 comment: