Sunday, March 21, 2021

Ugh...Cravings are a b**ch

During my healing journey, cravings have been my biggest challenge.
In the beginning, eggs were a big one. Sugar cravings pop up every so often. And salt is my current challenge.

On this lazy Sunday morning, my craving is what once was my favorite breakfast. My favorite breakfast at a restaurant was a veggie omelet with cheese, hash browns, toast (preferably rye, but sourdough worked too) with butter, and black coffee. At home, it was a couple of eggs cracked into a pan, swirled around with a fork, mixed with cheese and dried parsley, garlic salt, and pepper, put in between two pieces of toast. And black coffee.


My mouth is wanting that savory sensation. 
My body knows that type of breakfast is no longer an option.

I have already had herbal tea and a banana this morning. And I have plenty of apples and oatmeal to eat. But I keep remembering the savory breakfasts of yore.

To help with this craving in the past, I have done food prep of diced hash browns mixed with veggies, white beans, turmeric, garlic salt, and dried oregano. And if I have it, avocado. Though, I eat this for dinner, not breakfast because, according to the Medical Medium (if I remember correctly), fats are a burden on your liver early in the day; you'll give yourself a better chance at healing by eating your small amount of fats later in the day.

Today, I am running low on supplies. A trip to pick up groceries will happen this coming week. I have hash browns, but I have no suitable veggies. I do have spinach, but that does not sound good with hash browns. It does sound good in an omelet, which I cannot have. Not so much can't but won't because the last couple of times I ate an omelet, my body so did not appreciate it.

Some days I long for that seeming freedom of food choice. That seeming freedom to walk into any restaurant and eat whatever sounded good to me at the time. I say "seeming" because I am pretty sure I have had viruses and toxic heavy metals since birth. In the early days, it seemed that I could eat anything and it did not bother me physically (that I was aware of).

These days, I do have freedom to choose whichever fruits and veggies I so desire from the grocery store. Aside from the current pandemic, going into a restaurant provides challenges because the foods most people eat are not conducive to health. I hear some people wanting to argue that point. I'll refer those of you who disagree to the Medical Medium website. https://www.medicalmedium.com

I think it is the simplicity that I miss more than I am actually missing the taste of the egg, cheese, hash brown, rye toast, and black coffee breakfast. The not having to pay attention to every little thing on the menu. The not having to become an encyclopedia of how to make every meal on the planet so that you know whether or not you can eat it. The not having to read every ingredient on the label. The not having to understand what all the ingredients are on the label so you know whether or not it's harmful. 

But, here I am. A virtual encyclopedia of food and ingredients. What's done is done. I am now who I am now. And I am thankful to Anthony "Medical Medium" William and Spirit, Vani "Food Babe" Hari, and Fran Drescher's Cancer Schmancer for their help. There is so much to remember that it is nice to have resources to go to to remind myself if I ever forget.


No comments:

Post a Comment